3 months ago I attended a public conference about climate change and health in Bilbao, it is called klimagune, and it is part of the divulgation work done by bc3 research centre. It was interesting for me and the presentations are available in its web, the one from Paul Wilkinson and the other from Bilbao’s perspective. There were even some tweets (#klimagune). From the two hours, the video and the two lecturers I remember two or three points that came to my mind in this quite extreme winter:
- The important difference of mitigation and adaptation, and that in any case both will be needed.
- The idea that we will suffer climate change to some extend and it will have many effects and some directly in our health, but if we do not surpass the 2 ºC barrier we should be able to cope with them as they will be incremental.
- The story of malaria coming to Europe is quite possible as it was before, just in my house not so far ago.
- Even a wet city like Bilbao can suffer from water supply problems as the rains will be more extreme and irregular.
- Sea rise level can have many effects in coastal areas before we are under the water.
The pity was maybe that we were no more than 30-40 people there. Maybe not a failure but few in any case, climate change is not in the agendas of most people in the world and this is something to work about, for example by showing those presentations.